With Summer well and truly hotting up right now, there’s no time like the present to fuel our bikini bods with lots of nutritional goodness! For those of you who currently have one eye-brow raised at the word “tempeh,” let me explain a little.
Tempeh and tofu are like sisters, though one is far healthier than the other. Tempeh is less processed than tofu, containing more protein and fibre. You can find it at most health food stores in the refrigerated section – delicious AND nutritious!
Serves: 2-4 Tortillas
Recipe Benefits: High in Fibre, Raw, Vegan, Refined Sugar-free
2 cups spelt flour + more for kneading dough
1/4 tsp pink rock salt
3/4 cups lukewarm water
Note: add more water or more flour to suit consistency if mixture is too wet/dry
150g roughly diced organic tempeh
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp lemon juice
3 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp low sodium tamari sauce
1. Combine the flour and salt. Slowly add in the water and combine until it forms a dough, then use your hands to bring it together.
2. Flour a clean bench top and kneed to dough for 1-2 minutes. Cut dough into smaller pieces, then using a rolling pin roll out each piece of dough until thin.
3. Heat a non-stick pan on medium-high heat and place the dough in the pan, making sure to cook on each side until bubbles appear (roughly 2 minutes each side). Set wraps aside once cooked.
Maple Tempeh Method:
1. Combine together the maple syrup, tamari sauce, lemon juice & apple cider vinegar. Add in the diced tempeh and mix it around until it’s covered. Set it aside for a few minutes.
2. Heat a non-stick pan on high and add in the tempeh with the marinade. Toss around and cook until the tempeh absorbs the marinade and it’s thickened/coated.
3. Once done, add the tempeh, salad and sauce to a wrap and fold together. Enjoy!