Always felt a little guilty about your favourite Easter treat? Not anymore. Thanks to our resident recipe goddess, hot cross buns just got healthy and even more delicious! So good, you won’t go back to the old recipe anytime soon…
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 3/4 cup spelt flour
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup warm cashew mylk
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch cinnamon
- Pinch cardamom
- Pinch vanilla bean powder
- 1 organic free range egg
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted (+ 1 tsp)
- 100g dark chocolate (we used Loving Earth Dark Chocolate)
- 1 tsp yeast
- Cashew cream or coyo
- Combine yeast, coconut sugar and warmed cashew milk in a large mixing bowl.
- Cover and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add flour, spices, vanilla, coconut oil, egg, roughly chopped chocolate and mix well using a wooden spoon.
- Briefly knead the dough using a floured board.
- Lightly grease a mixing bowl with 1 tsp coconut oil and place the dough in the bowl.
- Cover and set aside for approx. 1 hour (this allows the mixture to expand)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius, fan-forced.
- Divide into 10 equal portions and roll into balls.
- Arrange on a tray lined with baking paper and sit for about 10 minutes.
- Place in the oven and bake for approx. 10-12 minutes or until slightly golden and risen.
- Remove from oven and set aside for a few minutes.
- Place the coyo or cashew cream in a piping bag and draw crosses on the buns.
- Serve and enjoy! We love ours with plain and chocolate coyo.
Creator of the recipe: @coconutandbliss
Recipe Yield: 1
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Looking for more weekend recipe inspo? Check out more of our healthy recipes here.