Ever look at those bronzed beach babes and think: ain’t nobody got time for that?! We’ve got a solution – fake it till you make it! If you’ve never attempted a fake tan before or are sceptical after that one time you turned yourself into an orange (we’ve all been there), here are our top 10 tips for a tan so good, your friends will swear you went on an island holiday!
What you need: exfoliator, moisturiser, a mirror with good lighting, tan of choice, application device or mitt, dark clothing
Best time to tan: night time! Then you can go straight to bed and sleep while it develops.
- Exfoliate and shave 24 hours before tanning to avoid the tan clinging to patches of skin and leg pores.
- Moisturise your elbows, knees and hands directly before applying tan to avoid dark patches.
- Stand in front of the mirror in your old underwear and tie your hair up. Put your applicating mitt on and shake up the tan. Start with the easiest and largest areas first: you legs, arms & stomach, using sweeping upward and downward motions to blend from the centre out. Gently blend over your knees, feet, elbows and hands. We’d recommend investing in a back applicator for a smooth all-over application… especially if you can’t convince your housemate to do it for you!
- Dark patches starting to appear? Fix this by mixing baking soda with water to make a paste and rub that tan away!
- While the tan sets wear dark, loose clothing to avoid the tan rubbing off.
- Don’t rinse off with soap – use your hands to wipe excess away to avoid streaks.
- Dab your skin with a towel when drying to avoid patches.
- Keep hydrated and moisturise daily to ensure your skin doesn’t flake to prolong your colour.
- Use bronzer to blend into your face, décolletage and other paler areas. Fix patchy areas with a cream bronzer in a similar colour for a smooth finish.
- Soak in a bath or spa to soften your skin before exfoliating your skin – this makes removing the top layers of skin so much easier!
Do you have any fake tan tips? Share with us below!